On Catholic Answers Live: Steve Ray’s Six Rules for Dealing with Non-Catholic Family and Friends

by Steve Ray on March 17, 2014

Joint us on a pilgrimage. Visit FootprintsOfGod.com.

Today I was on Catholic Answers Live discussing my Six Rules. It was delightful.

As soon as the links are available on Tuesday I will provide the links to listen on-line or as a podcast. Stay tuned.

Here are my Six Rules for dealing with family and friends who disagree with us, oppose us, want to argue and are against the Catholic Church and our morals.

Cover story on Catholic Answers Magazine

Steve Ray’s Six Rules:

1) Never argue with them, it will only push them further away.

2) Love them more than ever before, especially between spouses

3) Pray seriously and constantly and make sacrifices

4) Show the Joy of the Lord in your life so they see the result of the fullness of the Faith

5) Study apologetics and do biblical homework so you are ready when they finally ask questions

6) Ask God to bring someone else into their lives to influence them since they won’t listen to you

Read the whole article in this month’s Catholic Answers Magazine

****************************

See below for upcoming pilgrimages:

We are taking reservations for a pilgrimage to Rome for the Canonization of Blessed John Paul II.

We have only a few seats left for our Holy Land pilgrimage leaving in May 2014 and in August 31.

Ireland and an affordable St. Paul Cruise on the Mediterranean next fall.

More trips at Visit www.FootprintsOfGod.com or contact Suzanne at sparran@ctscentral.net or at 800-727-1999, ext. 121

nathaniel fernandes August 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Thanks for the 6-tips which i see is taken from your baptist upbringing. I will use it to win Catholics to Christ and out from the RC Church. It will add to the list of 5 Catholics I’ve already sucessfully evangelized them out of the RC Church. Keep the tips coming :)

Joe Wetterling August 12, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Steve,

How would you modify these (would you?) for talking to a Catholic family member that’s non-Catholic in some particular practice or requirement (say, contraception, the Church’s marital practices, attending Mass, etc.)?

Jody August 13, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Nathaniel,
Those six tips could just as easily have been taken from a Catholic upbringing.

Sue from Buffalo August 13, 2013 at 4:50 AM

The best thing I ever did was become Catholic.

chris Aday August 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I am a Christian non Catholic. I try to be very accepting. However when I am at a Catholic wedding and Communion starts and the Preist informs me I am not welcome to take it because I am not Catholic I want to just leave and never come back!!!!

Tom Skalman August 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Well Nathanael — me Jean Baptiste — how nice of you to troll here spreading your superior knowledge of scripture!

Bob D August 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

@Chris it is actually out of love that you are not allowed to receive the Eucharist. Even a practicing Catholic must be in a state of grace to receive. If you have sinned you go to confession for forgiveness. The Catholic Church while holding some of our beliefs in common with other christian denominations have very big differences. Confession is one, we also believe that the Eucharist is actually the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ, not a symbol. I hope you are aware of the differences. An analogy is when you vist a friends house you don’t open the fridge and help yourself to whatever you want. Common courtesy means you respect the host and ask before you help yourself. I pray that one day we will be one Christian, Catholic and Apostolic Church. God bless.

Tom Govern November 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I have a fallen away Mormon son. The suggestions are being followed, but I could really use some extra prayers. I know that God will show him the way but I would really like to live to see it!

Hochiminh Lol November 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Hi Nathaniel,
I was eitheist , working with many Protestants many years. I can tell you now, you can’t handle rule#1 as they lost me at argument. They always make themselves right. I hate. After many years soul searching, finding only one Truth staying in Catholic church. Im falling in love smoothly with the transition to the church. I love JESUS,Mary, saints, Pop, priests, nuns, Eucharist,everything. I pray you open your eyes and your heart to seek truth.

Nathaniel Fernandes November 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Hi Hochiminh,
Thanks for your comments. I am amused at the words eitheist/pop. But nevetherless, you are sincere to pray for me to seek the truth. I pray for you too … as your surname suggests : Lol = “Laugh out Loud” :)

Bud Wilson November 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Steve …
Your thoughts have a much broader appeal … your rules are applicable to our relationships with others … just think how well we would get along if we practiced the behaviors in the six rules that you have identified … life would be grand! Thanks for sharing them …

Dan v November 14, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Nathaniel
your hatred for the Catholic Church like all other protestants just proves how True the Catholic Church is. why would you take pride in tempting people away from The Church I feel sorry for you.
if you are truly a Christian you would want to be as close to Christ as you possibly could be wouldn’t you? well I get to receive Our Blessed Lord every sunday, you don’t get much closer than that…
you think we are missing out? I beg to differ.

Julie November 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Nathaniel, I have a question. If I became a Baptist, would I be as mean as you? Yipes!