Jeremiah Condemns Worship of Queen of Heaven

by Steve Ray on February 15, 2014

I recently received an e-mail.  How would you answer this question?

Now if I could get past Jeremiah, chapter 44, I’d really be a happy camper, (LOL).  Stumbled on that passage this morning and wondered about the “Queen of Heaven” that the people of Judah were burning incense to.  God sure was mad! Who was this “Queen” they were venerating (worshiping?)?  I wonder if they were putting her ahead of God? The struggles continue….but the Lord is faithful!!

Mary2.jpgI had dealt with this argument and confusion before, so I thought I would wrote an explanation comparing the idolatrous worship of the pagan Queen of Heaven and veneration of Mary the legitimate Queen of Heaven.

15Be ready to defend your faith, and our Holy Queen. Click here for an explanation of Jeremiah 44 and his condemnation of Jews worshiping the pagan goddess and queen of heaven and why it is right and good to venerate our Queen Mother in Heaven.

If you haven’t heard the argument yet, you will some day. Be ready!

For more on Mary, get my documentary filmed on location. It is entitled Mary, Mother of God. You can learn more about it and order it here.

Bert August 9, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Steve,

Hi. I am a Filipino Evangelical. I just would like to ask whether Roman Catholic teaching allows burning of incense to images. This is somehow related to the question asked by the person who emailed you. Thanks. :-)

Barbara August 9, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Bert,

We offer incense to God. Just as it describes in the heavenly worship described in the book of Revelation:

“And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints;” ~Rev. 5:8

[3] And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne;
[4] and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God. ~Rev. *:3-4

Steve Ray August 9, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Thanks Barbara, you are correct. We are forbidden to offer any sacrifice, incense or offering to anyone other than the Divine Trinity. Candles can be lit to offer prayers to God and the saints, but the candles are a form of prayer and request for intercession. BUT we worhip God alone.

Bert August 10, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Thanks Barbara and Steve. One more question. Do your answers imply that worshiping God may involve the burning of incense before images? Thanks. :)

HLG August 10, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Bert,

I think the question is if incense is ONLY used for worship. We’re stuck again with this Protestant idea of “either” or “or”. Can you prove this to be the case? And what if the priests in the OT burn incense before the Ark of the Covenant? I haven’t read it but it may be.

Hector the other Pinoy

HLG August 10, 2007 at 5:33 PM

What I meant is whether we use incense for worship and for other purpose like to ward off evil spirits…

Hector

Gab August 11, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Hi,

I think it’s clear why we honor Mary. Here’s a great online video that shows why Mary was foretold in Genesis 3:15

God bless,

Gab

Franklin April 14, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Hello, I was a practicing Catholic for almost 20 yrs. & there were always prayers sent up to Mary & the saints. From what I have gathered studying the bible & learning, prayers are ONLY to be offered up to the Trinity. Also, it has been a belief for many years that a person can be “prayed into Heaven” after they have passed, where would biblical Catholic scholars have gotten these beliefs?

STEVE RAY HERE: SORRY YOU LEFT THE ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC & APOSTOLIC CHURCH BEFORE YOU UNDERSTOOD HER TEACHINGS. ONE SHOULD LEARN THE FAITH AND UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE LEAVING OUT OF IGNORANCE. DO YOU EVER ASK ANYONE TO PRAY FOR YOU? THEN YOU ARE DOING THE SAME THING. THE WORD PRAY DOES NOT MEAN TO WORSHIP. THE WORD PRAY MEANS TO ASK. YOU ARE ASKING SOMEONE ELSE TO PRAY FOR YOU.

SOME MAY ASK, “WHERE DOES THE BIBLE SAY TO PRAY TO DEAD SAINTS?” I WOULD THEN ASK YOU, “WHERE DOES THE BIBLE SAY SAINTS ARE DEAD?” THEY ARE ALIVE AND BEFORE THE THRONE OF GOD. READ THE BOOK OF REVELATION WITH YOUR EYES OPEN AND YOU WILL SEE THESE THINGS.

NO ONE CAN BE PRAYED INTO HEAVEN. AGAIN, YOU SHOULD HAVE STUDIED AND UNDERSTOOD THE FAITH BEFORE LEAVING IT. I INVITE YOU TO DO SO NOW AND TO COME BACK HOME. I HAVE A LOT OF THINGS TO HELP YOU AT http://WWW.CATHOLICCONVERT.COM > HOME WEBSITE > RESOURCES.

Adrian Da Cunha June 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I want to know in Catholic houses and some Catholic churches there are photo frame on the wall of a woman and the child she holds in her hands. Catholics call her Blessed Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus. How do we know this is true? This woman child combination also appears in other earthly religions under other names, but its the same woman/child combinaton. So how can it be ascertained that it is really Virgin Mary and the child is Jesus? What is the concrete proof?

De Maria June 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Adrian,
We have four testimonies of Jesus life and times in the Bible. That is proof enough for us.

Do you have any proof that these depictions are anyone else? If you did, you wouldn’t be asking the question, would you?

Ted June 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Adrian
In addition to the account we have from the gospels, some catholic faithful over the years have been favoured with visions and apparitions from haeven. The church, after careful scrutny has approved some of these private revelations. A good number of the holy pictures you see are revelations from haeven.

Amos Omwenga June 26, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Ted- the best example -with my little knowledge is the Apparitions of Fatima

Joel D'Souza June 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Ted:
Once the canon of scripture was closed, Gods revelation to mankind is complete in the 66 books of the bible. These extra biblical revelation are therefore invalid if one scrutinizes the “messages” that power behind those apparitions. The Catholic church is in error for approving them and is a violation to the closed canon of scripture. By adding these extra biblical revelations, we are making God a liar that his Word in the 66 books are in-sufficient. Also we must be aware that scripture teaches that satan is able to transform himself into an “angel of light” (2 Corinthians 11:14).

De Maria June 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Hello Joel,

You said toTed,

There are 73 books in the true Bible. 7 books were removed by Luther.

There is nothing new being taught in Marian apparitions. The only ones inventing new and false doctrines are the Protestants.

The Catholic church is in error for approving them

This is what Scripture says:
1 Thessalonians 5:18-21 Yet you advise we quench the Spirit, despise prophesyings and dispense with all which is good.

and is a violation to the closed canon of scripture.

On the contrary, the revelations of God lead one to Scripture.

God has given you a great sign which you ignore. 66 reminds you of anything? The number of the beast is 666. 6 is also the mystical number signifying error.

How about 73? That is the number of the books in the Catholic Bible. What does 7 represent? Seven comes from the Hebrew word “sheva” which means oath or covenant. And three should remind you of the Trinity. God has given you a message which you don’t recognize. The Catholic Bible is the Covenant of the Trinity. 73

Whereas the Protestant Bible has error introduced by the Beast. 66

What is needed is spiritual discernment.

That is true. But read the context. Many who come in the name of Christ, are actually sent by the Devil:
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
King James Version (KJV)
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

The apparitions of Mary are of God. You can test them by their fruits. Many conversions and much prayer and good work in accordance with God’s will have resulted from those apparitions.

However, there is someone telling us to quench the spirit of God, to disregard prophesying and to contradict the Word of God at every turn. Someone to whom the proof of Scripture has been provided that Sola Scriptura is heretical and contradicts the will of God. That sola fide is a false doctrine. Yet despite all the proof, that person holds on to his heretical beliefs and preaches them to all.

I think I’ll listen to the Catholic Church (Eph 3:10).

Sincerely,

De Maria

Joel D'souza June 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM

De Maria:

A majority of the messages behind those Marian apparitions are not in-line with the scriptures. I am fully aware of it. Whatever may be the case we cannot further add to the Word of God as the concept is taught in Revelations 22:18.

De Maria June 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Hello Joel,

You said:

1. The Church examines all claims and decides which are in line and which are not in line with the Revelation of Jesus Christ in Tradition and Scripture.
2. The majority of the messages from Marian apparitions are probably not in line with the errors taught by the Protestants. And therefore, since you follow Protestant errors, you probably would not recognize the truth which they teach.
3. As I have said prior, it is Protestants who have violated the condition of Rev 22:18 in the past and continue to in the present.
4. And finally, the approved Apparitions of Jesus, Mary and the other Saints, all point to Christ and the Truth which He revealed. They add nothing new. It is Protestants who add novelties and error to the faith.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Joel D'souza June 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

De Maria:

I can provide the actual messages from the Marian websites for you to compare. In fact FYI one mystic woman is closely related to a friend. Though the CC has not yet approved her concocted visions, she nevertheless is in errors – I can provide you live proofs should you need it. I am in close contact so i know what is happening and i am sincerely not exagerating. I am only concerned for poor souls getting misled. Apparently you seem to be having ego problems in defending the Catholic Church. If you are a genuine truth seeker, have mercy on souls who are misled and not let prideness control you. Shame the devil.

De Maria June 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Hi Joel,

I will await the judgement of the Church, thank you.

I wonder why, someone who dispenses with the authority of the Church would think that their own authority is worthy of respect? You have dispensed with the Pope and have set yourself up as pope.

As are we. But we are concerned that YOU are misleading poor souls with your insistence on passing on the errors of the Protestants.

Apparently you seem to be having ego problems in defending the Catholic Church.

Do you, then, have an ego problem in promoting your faith?

If you are a genuine truth seeker,

God is my judge (1 Cor 4:4).

THAT is what I ask of you. It is you, who hangs on to anti-biblical errors, even though they have been proven to be false, from the Bible. Therefore, let go of your pride and shame the devil.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Michael F Poulin August 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM

What seems to be missing in this stream is that all the approved Marian apparitions are approved for the individual seeing them only. The Catholic faithful are not at all required to believe in any private revelation. The Church will only examine an apparition and test it thoroughly for errors before declaring it even worthy of belief… we know there are plenty of fakers and many who are self-deluded. But it needs to be said that even those approved private revelations are not at or anywhere near the level of say …the Resurrection.

I also have to ask, why do people hate Jesus’ mother so much? As a child of God by adoption, who strives to do His will, I can say that Jesus is truly my brother, as he said (Matt 12:46-50). And so if Jesus is my brother, then MARY is MY mother and so in obedience of the commandment to honor thy mother and father, I honor my Mother Mary. I love my mailman too, but I don’t invite him to dinner. I honor the governor, even though I can’t stand his politics. Can we show just a little honor where honor is due please? After all, how many women were chosen by God Almighty before time to bear His Son. Only one that I know.

Kelly B. March 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Michael F Poulin wrote: “I also have to ask, why do people hate Jesus’ mother so much? ”

I have thought about this and I think I have a plausible answer. It is found in Revelation 12:17
“Then the dragon became angry with the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring, those who keep God’s commandments and bear witness to Jesus.* ” http://www.usccb.org/bible/revelation/12

What does war on Mary look like? Looks like the lack of honoring her. Ignore her, don’t talk about her, etc. This what I think war of the evil one would be like. Just my undeducated thoughts on why Mary is despised on many non-Catholic churches.

P.S. Mr. Ray, so excited to see this site. I’ve long followed your apologetics, now I have it all in one place!