Good Movies for Catholic Families; Good Way to Start a New Year

by Steve Ray on January 17, 2011

notv-797953Janet and I got rid of television years ago. We called the cable company and canceled our service. We began reading more and renting movies for the family to watch together. It have been a huge life-changer and has had a noticeably positive effect on our family.

We put up a list of the Ray Family Favorite Movies on our website along with other resources for Catholic families. We have to admit that much of our culture is shaped by movies. But not only movies. Our kids are also shaped by what they watch on TV. As parents we have to protect and educate our children — preparing them for heaven.

And I don’t miss being insulted by stupid commercials and commentaries. TV aims at the status quo or lower, and helps shape peoples’ minds to be status quo or lower. Not for ME!

screen-capture-1Another great source for information is the Decent Films website. This is a goldmine of information for Catholic families who want to know what their kids are watching and what they should be viewing together in the home.

I strongly suggest that families cut the ties with the TV and start watching wholesome and wonderful movies together as a family. Netflix is one way our family has selected movies to watch.

There may be other rental services available as well (let us know in the Comments below if you know of any). [Thanks to Kevin Lay of Scepter Press another good site is www.piusmedia.com.]

It is smart to set up a movie night and make a family affair out of it. Kids love such family events and might not even realize that we are shaping their morals and values at the same time.

Popcorn anyone?

Carol Krudup January 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Hello,

Just a note to say that some of your readers may want to check out Faith and Family Flix.com. You rent movies through the mail just like you do from Netflix. They offer many, many wholesome movies, Catholic and otherwise. I have been a member for a few months and like the movies they offer.

Thank you.
C. Krudup

Pam Bercegeay January 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Steve and Janet,

Just wanted to recommend another great movie, The Trip to Bountiful!
Geraldine Paige won the academy award for this one.

God Bless,
Pam Bercegeay

STEVE RAY HERE: You are absolutely right. We have seen that movie and enjoyed it very much! Thanks.

theresa in Alberta January 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I think I have watched almosted all of the movies on your list.,,,
I stopped watching TV about 5 years ago,,,I DONOT miss it one bit. Another movie to add to your list is “Amish Grace” and one produced by Bollywood called “Bride and Prejudice”.
Seeing as this is MLK day in the US, another good movies is the “The long walk” with Cissy spacek and Whoopi Goldberg.

cable companies in my area June 25, 2011 at 4:13 AM

It always warms my heart to see Catholicism portrayed in the movies. One of my favorite movies in that respect is Bonnie Hunt’s “Return to Me”. Bonnie unashamedly portrayed a Catholic family praying and making reference to Catholic doctrine.

Zi Davis January 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I cancelled Netflix because of all the junk. I couldn’t let my 12 yr old daughter browse for a movie without “Gays & Lesbian” categories as an option and very risque movie posters popping up. We have cable ONLY to watch news (in the morning only), EWTN (has wonderful children’s programs), Animal Planet, and National Geographic. Besides a couple of other harmless channels, we have everything else blocked from viewing. I second piusmedia.com! They have an excellent catalog of Catholic and family movies, I recommend them to everyone.

Anon June 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Don’t forget the 1998 film of Madeline.